Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Featured today on Studio 5 today! Not your average "Ammo Box"

A few weeks ago I was wondering around a military surplus store here in northern Utah and came across a gem of a find. A wooden ammo box. I knew with the darling rope handles and rusty hinges whatever I did with this box would be to die for.
 
After some thought I decided to turn it into a console table for my family room. To do this I came home and blasted the box with my garden hose. After I was sure there were no living things inside I took a sander to it, making sure to lightly sand in order to leave intact the original character of the wood.
 
Next I took off the top lid of the box by removing a hinge. Then I made the legs by using 2 2x4's for each leg. I measured the height I needed it to fit in, and cut the 2x4's with my miter saw.
Next I used my nail gun to attach the 2x4's to the upside down ammo box. For the feet I used 2 2x4's again, but cut these at a 30 degree angle for a decorative look.
 


For the painted finish I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in "Old White" for the top, and the same brand of chalk paint in "French Linen" for the base. I used my rub technique process. This is where I take one of my husbands old socks and dip it into the paint and then rub it onto the wood. This painting technique allows you to give the wood a uniform look but still allows the character of the wood to come through. Afterwards, I sealed the paint with Annie Sloan's clear wax.
 



Tada....my finished console table. I love it and the fact that it's a one of a kind:)
 
Here are some other fun projects I was able to pull off using the Ammo Box...
A Table Tray
 


A Porch Flower Box w/ caster wheels
 
 
A Darling Table Centerpiece

 
A Herb Garden Box


Pallet Wall Art
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
COPYRIGHT 2014 WEST CREEK DESIGN

SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS